Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cake Storm

As cliche as the phrase is, it's funny how sometimes when it rains, it absolutely pours! In my case, it was a torrential flood of cake-making! In addition to working at SCAD and teaching my cake class, I made 4 cakes in the past 6 days! Although tiring, they were all so much fun and I was so happy to do them. So here we go....

Cake 1: I made a fun poker cake for my co-worker (and the SCAD mother hen), Theo. I posted that cake in my last blog.

Cake 2: Our friend, Jackie Lewis, had a birthday party over the weekend, and of course, I had to bring a cake! What's a birthday without a birthday cake??? I made her a little personal-sized 4" round cake with roses....simple and sweet!

Chocolate-Rose-Cake2


Cake 3: To help my co-worker, Raymetta, celebrate her one year wedding anniversary, I made her and her husband a two tiered "wedding" cake. It was a white cake with hand-made light blue lilies and pearls. I loved that it was reminiscent of a little baby wedding cake!

Blue-Lily-Cake2


Cake 4: I'm not sure how I have spent so many years living in the south and I have never come across "7 Minute Icing". Somehow, this delicious treat has slipped through my hands and only presented itself to me this past week. My supervisor wanted a 7 Minute Icing cake for her mother's birthday. Having never heard of this type of frosting, I was a little nervous to make it, to say the least. After all, the perfectionist in me wanted it to be flawless! I had no idea what it was supposed to look or taste like, but I forged ahead with my mixer in hand. I have to say, this frosting is absolutely delicious. I think it's best described as a mix between meringue and marshmallow fluff...how could you not love it? I decided to not be too ambitious with my first go around with this shiny icing, but I think overall it came out ok! I just decorated it with my left-over lilies and pearls, and voila!

7-Minute-Icing-Lily-Cake2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, these are really some awesome cakes. The poker cake is simply amazing. You have a real talent for this and I think you could do it professionally or at least as a good supplement to your income. Keep up the good work, I'm very proud of you. Love Dad.

Gina said...

mmmmm...These look so gooood. You are very talented. oh how I wish I could make cakes!

Jackie Lewis said...

Thank you again for the beautiful cake (I almost couldn't bring myself to cut it, it was so pretty)!! It was incredibly delicious, and really well crafted! Thank you so much!