Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Adventures and Inspiration

A week after our wedding day, Douglas and I packed our belongings and moved to Atlanta; scared, excited, and hopeful for what was ahead. We knew being in this new city would be an adventure. Right when we got to Atlanta, Douglas continued working on his undergraduate degree at the Savannah College of Art and Design as a full-time student, and I was newly jobless due to the move. I ended up getting a full-time job and Douglas continued to work on his education, so we were able to get through it, although it seemed scary at the time.

When Douglas graduated a couple years ago, I thought, "Onto the next adventure!". Little did I know that a few months later, that adventure would be Douglas enrolling in Graduate school. He told me that he really wanted to teach at the college level, so he knew his master's degree was in order. Five years and 8 days after getting married, Douglas graduated at the top of his class with his Master of Fine Arts degree.

When he walked across the stage and got his diploma, I was so proud. So proud, in fact, that although I like to follow the rules, when they called his name, I screamed at the top of my lungs in the dead silence even though they told us to save applause until everyone graduated!

I am constantly amazed by Douglas and how far he has come as an artist. His talent is unreal and I am blown away by the work he creates. Not only did he get a scholarship to Graduate school, but his artwork has been published in numerous books, he is currently working on a 200-page graphic novel, and he got offered his dream job; teaching college art classes. Seeing Douglas pursue his dream of being an artist has been such an inspiration to me. His undying drive to do what he loves make me pursue my dreams even more and I feel like they are actually possible.

Thank you Douglas for showing me that perseverance, passion, and hard work do pay off and that it's possible to attain anything you want out of life. I'm so proud of you, your accomplishments, and to call you my husband. Congratulations!!!

graduation4

Douglas has the most amazing parents. When he told them that he wanted to go to art school and be a comic book artist, they told him to go for it and not look back. I have just one word to describe them...AMAZING.
graduation3

And here is Douglas getting interviewed by the news after his graduation ceremony. How cute!
graduation1

No comments: