Sunday, September 9, 2012

Not So Green Thumb

When Douglas and I bought our house this year, I couldn't wait to plant my very first garden. After only a few months in the house, March rolled around and I rushed to buy as many veggies and herbs as I could muster. I planted rosemary, cilantro, sage, chives, and basil. I tended to my cucumber, pepper, leek, and zucchini beds with care. I had visions of overflowing herb containers and having so many veggies that I could share them with friends. I imagined zucchini bread baking in our oven, cilantro garnishing every salad and taco, and fresh basil topping our pastas.

Never did it occur to me that I really didn't know what I was doing. I mean, how hard could it be? I grew up gardening and you basically plant, water, and harvest. So simple. Well, it wasn't so simple. As the season went buy, my zucchini and cucumber plants got a gross, slimy fungus, and the sage and cilantro shriveled in the heat. My green peppers were tiny and my leeks looked pitiful.

It was a sad garden, not the bountiful garden I'd imagined. But I'm holding onto the small victories. As the summer comes to a close, I have more jalapeños than I can count, I managed to pick two cucumbers and zucchinis before the fungus infestation, and the basil and rosemary are growing out of their containers.

So although I may not have the greenest of thumbs, at least I can grow one mean jalapeño!

garden1
garden3
garden2
garden4

No comments: