Sunday, September 20, 2009

Cake Weekend

It rained both days this weekend, which in my opinion, is the perfect weather to make cakes. There's just something about hearing the rain, baking, and decorating that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! Here are two cakes I worked on this weekend.

The first cake is key lime. Just a note to anyone that likes experimenting with ingredients. DO NOT use frozen juice concentrate to flavor your cakes! I don't know exactly what the culprit was, but I think that the corn syrup in the frozen lime concentrate made the cake have a raw texture. No matter how long I baked the cake, that texture just never went away! I didn't think it was possible to burn a raw cake, but I managed to do so. I ended up tossing the first cake and re-baking it with actual lime juice...WAY BETTER!

RoseCake


The second cake is a coconut cake (my favorite!) with rolled fondant. I used a tool to make the football texture and used white fondant for the rest of the details. Although I am not a football watcher, Douglas had football playing in the background to give me inspiration for this cake! Hehe!

FootballCake

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Awesome cakes! The football one is way cool!

Abigail said...

Man, that buttercream on the first cake looks so perfect and smooth! I need to get back into practice before I lose what little skills I have....love the football cake too! Even if I do loathe the season....cake might make it bearable.