Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Bon Appetit!

I didn’t grow up watching her on TV, and frankly, her name was only vaguely familiar to me. It’s embarrassing, but before I saw the movie, I looked Julia Child up on Wikipedia. When I watched “Julie and Julia”, I kind of fell in love with Julia Child and it convinced me to watch some of her old shows. That woman just cracks me up! She is a far cry from the well-rehearsed, glossy chefs that are on TV today, but I think that’s what makes her so likable. From her clumsy cooking style, to her love for her husband, I think she is fantastic!

Anyway, I try to come up with ways incorporate whatever I’m passionate about into my photography. Usually, it consists of dogs, cakes, babies, and people in love…how can you really resist those things?! All of those things make me happy, so that’s what I typically shoot. But since Julia (yes, I call her Julia now) and cooking have been on my brain, I thought it would be neat to get creative and use her as inspiration for a studio shoot. This is how I would envision Julia’s desk while she was taking her culinary classes in France. Thanks to Abigail for lending me her pearls. Check out her blog, The Quinn Essentials, for lots of fun travel and food entries! I strongly recommend making her Orzo recipe. Delicious!

So here’s my tribute to Julia Child. Bon Appetit!

JuliaChild_Desk

3 comments:

Doug Dabbs said...

Wow, this is amazing! I always love your photography, but you always put so much thought into it, and it shows. You constantly amaze me with all of your talent.

Abigail said...

wow, that turned out great!!! i cant totally picture her sitting at that desk. thanks for the shout-out!

Doug said...

Nicole, this looks fantastic! I particularly like the warmth of the reds and the lighting. By the way, I saw this quote attributed to Julia Child and thought I'd pass it along. It reminded me of what you're doing with your photography. "Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it."