Friday, November 20, 2009

Cakes & Cut-Outs

So I have been really inspired by the latest Anthropologie catalog because their styling, photography, and overall mood is beautiful. I love their creative, nostalgic sets, and going through their catalog always makes me want to do a studio shoot. Although I’m not a supporter of copying a photographer’s style, I think that you can be inspired by their technique and occasionally incorporate certain elements into your own style. The below photos were inspired by a lot of different photographs and ideas. It was a mix between Anthropologie, favorite cookbooks, Sharon Core’s work, and ideas that have been hibernating in my mind. Initially, I wasn’t sure what the sets were going to look like, but I did know that I wanted something fresh, clean, and pretty. I wanted all of the elements in each picture to really showcase the cakes, not distract from them. So I started off by decorating the cakes and used them to kind of direct the set from there.

I think the photographs look better as a triptych because the images, compositions, and colors play off each other nicely.

CakeTriptych

And here are close-ups of the individual shots.

PinkCakes

BlueCakes

GreenCakes

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, I LOVE these photos. The cakes are so beautiful! You are so creative and talented. I am so proud of you. Love, MOM :)

Cara M said...

I LOVE The paper cut outs! These look like these belong in a bridal magazine!