Sunday, November 15, 2009

Jaws!

When I think of horror/scary movies, one person always comes to mind; our friend Bryan Wynia. He's obsessed with gore, guts, and overall disturbing special effects in movies, so it was natural when he announced his wedding date as Friday the 13th of November. It was also not surprising when he wanted me to make a Jaws-theme groom's cake for his wedding. Bryan is an extremely talented animator and sculptor, so I felt really intimidated by his request. So I took a day off work to devote to the monster and regularly asked Douglas for advice on the construction of the cake. After much deliberation, I decided that even though the cake was for a wedding, this was not a typical groom's cake and I should throw out any desire to make it look pretty or cute. I went all out and made the shark extra nasty with blood and a gross mouth. I think the cake was a hit and when the bride and groom cut into it, everyone was surprised by the shark meat (red velvet cake). Congratulations Bryan and Rachel and best wishes for a beautiful life together!

JawsCake

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Gorgeously gorey! Yes, I'll bet that was heavy. A Red Meat Shark cake is the new Bleeding Armadillo -- fantastic!!

Abigail said...

WOW!! it looks AMAZING! you seriously need to open up a shop!

matthewagrall said...

Excellent! I really enjoyed the teeth!

lindsay earle said...

love love love this Nicole! I'm seriously so impressed and amazed at your crazy talent. So very very proud :)